Being multifaceted in this day and age is key, but also a determent because many people burnout. As a Director of Communication, I need to wear multiple hats, and need to embrace a verity of daily tasks. This is no different from when I worked in Broadcast News. I’ve been asked how can I wear multiple hats and stay productive and forge ahead. Ask yourself, “How many random tasks unrelated to my job description can I accomplish in today?” By simply leaning on God, you will be amazed he can do for you. Here are a few action steps which I’ve used over the years:
- Acknowledge the fact you only have one head.
- Focus on the big picture. Remember the vision and why you do the what you do.
- Delegate. Which of these tasks can be done by someone else.
- If you have a team, clearly define and communicate expectations for who will do what and when.
- Prioritize. Choose what gets done, and let the rest go until later.